Do you ever have those days where for no particular reason you feel like you are in a funk? That was my day yesterday for some reason I had a case of the blahs. Luckily I found a cure, CREATIVE PLAY!
With my son as my companion, we made homemade playdough. After just 30 minutes of rolling, squishing and giggling together I felt great!
It was such a powerful cure that I want to share the recipe with you. I used the recipe for cooked playdough in the book Preschool Art by Marry Ann Kohl (by the way I love her books!).
A Recipe for Happiness (aka playdough)
1 c flour
1 c salt
1 cup water
1 tbs cream of tartar
1. Mix flour, water, salt and cream of tartar in a pan. (For colored dough, add food coloring to the water and mix with the other ingredients.)
2. Place pan over low heat and stir until the dough forms a ball.
3. Remove from heat, pour the ball on a cutting board and knead until smooth and pliable.
4. PLAY!!! Use a variety of utensils and tools for explorations such as a rolling pin, wooden dowel, cookie cutters, fork, nuts, bolts, etc.
5. The dough can be stored in a plastic container for a week or so.
*If for any reason your blahs are not completely cured, I would prescribe reading The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne. This has been our bedtime story collection for the past few nights and it has everyone in the family smiling together!
Love, Blessings, and Wishes of Happiness,