These last few weeks I’ve been working on a new project… when time allows of course. What is this new project you ask? It is my book for “The Sketchbook Project.” Click here to read more about the project and it’s organizers: http://www.arthousecoop.com/projects/sketchbookproject
Each artist who participates receives a bound 5″x7″ journal. My journal has been sitting on my desk waiting for me to give it some attention for a couple of months now. Recognizing that there is a deadline I need to work within I decided it was time to get started. I’m not done yet, but here is a look at what I’ve been working on.
I began by pulling the binding out of the book and separating all of the pages. Wanting thicker pages to hold up to wet materials or collage elements, I glued pages together 3 sheets thick. A few pages even got special treatment and were turned into fold out segments. Then I took a sharpie and wrote a long journal entry across the front and back of each thick page.
The pages were then covered in a layer of gesso to give them extra strength. It also added a cool opaqueness to the text.
Working with liquid acrylics and cut out shapes as stencils I have added texture and color to the pages. I think this will make a nice background to apply whatever else I decide to do next.
That’s all for now. I’ll keep you posted as I make more progress on it.