You know those corny moments in movies where someone takes a bite of food and then stares off into space as if put in a trance by the overwhelming flavor? I actually made that face when I took my first bite of these pancakes! Suddenly eating pancakes at our dining room table with Noah became a gourmet event. With the pretty white coconut and red pomegranate this would make a perfect holiday breakfast or brunch.
Coconut Pancakes with Pomegranate
I am proud to say that these delectable cakes are my very own recipe!
Ingredients: 1 egg (or egg replacer equivalent)*
3/4 C whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 C coconut flour
1 tsp honey
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 C milk (or non dairy milk. I used soy milk.)
1 tbs coconut oil – melted oil to coat the pan
1 medium pomegranate – separated
handful of shredded coconut
handful of pecans (or your favorite nut) – optional
Step by step process to YUM:
1. Sift together dry ingredients in a large bowl
2. Whisk together wet ingredients in a med bowl
3. Add wet to dry ingredients and mix just until moistened, batter may be a little thin.
4. Pour dollops of batter onto lightly oiled pan or griddle
5. Cook until small bubbles appear on the tops of the pancakes then flip using a spatula. Cook until golden brown on bottom.**
6. Top with fresh pomegranate, shredded coconut and nuts if desired. (and of course your favorite syrup if you like, but honestly these don’t need it)
* I have listed a few quick substitutions to the recipe for a vegan version of the recipe. It’s how I roll these days 🙂
**Pancake tip: try not to flip your pancake back and forth too much as it can create a tough pancake.